Its official – there are more mobile devices than people in the world. Most of you would be carrying multiple mobile devices with you for different reasons. One of the reason would be to keep the corporate data on a separate device. Some people want to just access the corporate enterprise resources on their personal mobile phones. Usually enterprises provide VPN to gain access and secure the private information. In this fast-changing world, this does not prove to be the safest option. For example, other apps on the device can use the same VPN tunnel to enter into the corporate network. Another important factor is the usability experience. People go for trending operating systems on their devices for greater user experience which is hampered by adhering to the corporate policies on the phone even for personal use.
Oracle Mobile Security Suite provides secure access to the corporate resources on employees’ personal phone. It overcomes the limitations imposed by solutions like Mobile Device Management. In the following section, we will briefly discuss the capabilities of Oracle Mobile Security Suite.
Oracle Mobile Security Suite comes with the enterprise ready widely used applications. These apps operate in a secured environment termed as Container. Container provides a Secure Enterprise Workspace from which apps can access the corporate data. Following is a set of apps provided by Oracle Mobile Security Suite to ensure that the data is always protected:
Secure Web Browser
Secure File Manager
Secure Email, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes
Along with these widely used apps, Oracle Mobile Security Service also provides Oracle Secure Mobile Mail Manager SKU which is currently separately licensed and comes as a part of Oracle Mobile Security Suite SKU.
• Provides secured container for secured enterprise workspace on the mobile devices
• Currently supports iOS 6.x and Android 4.x
• Mobile devices communicate only over SSL (strictly) with Mobile Security Access Server which sits in DMZ
• Integrates with Oracle Access Manager, Oracle Web Services Manager and Oracle API Gateway
• Supports SSO Authentication via Kerberos, PKI certificates
• Provides Administration console to manage containers, policies, application management, LDAP configuration (Oracle Unified Directory or Active Directory), logging, Remote lock/wipe etc.
• User and groups management
• Provides usage statistics and reports
• Exposes data from Internal SMB/CIFS (Server Message Block/Common Internet File System) with a WebDAV front end
• Mobile Security Notification Server is designed to send notifications from Microsoft Exchange to Apple Push Notification Services (APNS) and Google Cloud Notification (CGN) over HTTPS.
• Provides support for third party apps to link them to the Mobile Security Container so that the corporate data can be shared with them in a controlled manner.
Oracle Mobile Security Suite Data Sheet – http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/id-mgmt/overview/default-2099033.html
Ganesh Kamble works as Oracle Fusion Middleware Consultant and is an Oracle Certified Specialist in Access Management. Having started his career in product development at Oracle, Ganesh got excellent exposure to the middleware technologies during his work in integration of Tier-1 banking product Oracle Banking Platform with Oracle Fusion Middleware products. He was honored with Outstanding Contribution award by Oracle.
His key areas of interest are Oracle Identity and Access Management, Oracle Service Oriented Architecture and Java with passion for blogging on various encounters with Oracle products. He publishes blogs regularly on http://k21technologies.com/blog/. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and http://twitter.com/ganeshk_8